Online Self-Care Appointments
Even if a patient has a 1 hour treatment every week, there are still another 167 hours in that week.
Think about that for a minute…. Another 167 hours of potentially bad sleeping positions, poor desk set-up or hours and hours of ongoing stress.
Hands-On treatment is important, but the patient also needs to learn ways of managing any issues that are contributing to the problem.
In addition to hands-on treatment, learning how to manage your condition and practise self-care is vital, and will greatly increase the success of the healing process.
Whether this part of your treatment is conducted in the clinic or online, the content will be the same.
We may review your stretches, rehab exercises or pain-relieving exercises. Online appointments have been fantastic for improving patients’ desk set-up too. I can SEE how you are sitting, or the position of your laptop, rather than trying to replicate it in the treatment room. Brilliant!
We can also consider self-massage techniques and tips on how to use tools such as the spikey massage ball or roller.
The benefits of having remote access to your physical therapist are far reaching and open up a whole new way of thinking and working. It really is quite exciting; I can reach and help a whole new group of people.
If you are not comfortable having a Hands-On Treatment, online appointments are made for you!
I appreciate that entrusting your body to a complete stranger is a pretty big deal for some. There are also patients for whom massage is contraindicated, but you may still need some advice and help. Online appointments are perfect for you!
When an online session may be useful:
During a pandemic!
We all want Hands-On treatment but, when they are not possible, being able to “see me”, to check your exercises or advise on pain relief for a new condition, has proved vital for many.
Irrespective of a Pandemic
Out-with the Covid scenario, the benefits of having remote access to your physical therapist are far reaching and open up a whole new way of working.
Further benefits of this new service:
- If you are physically unable to travel into clinic due to your level of pain, have childcare issues, not enough time, or there are no available appts. You can still access therapy – even for the short term until an appointment becomes available.
- If you are not in Edinburgh and your pain issue flares up, whether you live elsewhere or are on holiday – you can still ‘see’ me.
- If you only need a check-up or want to ask me a question rather than have a full session. Remember, my aim is that you should NOT need a treatment every week if I am doing my job well.
- You just don’t like massage but are in pain.
- As well as being less time-consuming, a remote session will be more economical than a full Hands-On clinic session.
I am also offering ‘nudges’. A pre-decided method of an email, text, quick phone call, to give you a nudge to do your rehab. [As many as 70% of patients do not do their prescribed exercises (Beinart 2013)] so let me help/remind/nudge you to keep it going!
Self-Care is self-empowering!
I strongly believe that this new way of working will be of huge benefit to my patients.
Join me in this new and exciting journey as my 25 year old business diversifies yet again!